Sunday, January 28, 2007

I'm Awake!


It's been called the new Rent. The rock musical for a new generation. A revolutionary piece of theater on Broadway. And, I must say, even if people didn't say those things (and I'm pretty sure they did say something like that), I agree. The marketing for Spring Awakening does not necessarily draw the ideal audience (read: me) in for a show following a group of pubescent youth yearning for carnal knowledge and for that natural human desire to connect beneath the surface, both physically and mentally. In fact, with a title like Spring Awakening and the ghostly period-costumed bodies on the promotional materials, I barely looked twice. But, thank God for word of mouth. I felt the buzz building and you can only see a show pop up on so many Best Musical of 2006 lists before you need to learn more, if you want to consume popular culture like I do.


So, to make up for their marketing, with all due respect, let me offer my own tag line for


Spring Awakening:

Sex.
Revolution.

Rock On.




It may not be perfect, but it offers more of an idea of the themes of the show, one of which I think is challenging conservative ideals in order to truly live. If action isn't taken then the consequences can be severe. Maybe in 2007 we're not as conservative about sex as the Puritan community of 1890's Germany, but we live in a world where conservative ideals are causing people to die and perhaps the revolution begins with sharing information. See the show and let me know if you agree or if I'm way off base.

The show, with
music by Duncan Sheik of 90's pop fame (Barely Breathing, anyone?), uses contemporary pop/rock sounds to show the clash of the adults vs. the kids, the period of the show vs. today, and the clarity of how the world seems on the outside vs. the chaos going on inside our heads. The show, through music and script, brought me back to a time when sex was a mystery, a power seemingly as big and powerful and awe-inspiring as religion itself - and the two, religion vs. sexuality, show up as perpetual conflict in the world of the show and in our world today.

Sitting around coming up with concepts of casting, direction and even the script and score may pr may not have felt like big risks. When I watched this show I felt like there was one risk taken after another and, while some didn't take off as well I would have liked (the ending could have swelled with greater emotion, honestly) I left Spring Awakening energized, in love with the characters (and some of the actors...damn. hot.) and on a high from the fact that a revolutionary new rock musical with a Rent-like sensibility exists ON BROADWAY for a new generation of sexually charged...well, me. And I hope a lot of other people.

Should you? Go.

1 comment:

ing said...

I definitely want to see that show! Thanks for the hard sell Nick.

Last night I saw: Gutenberg, The Musical! (http://www.gutenbergthemusical.com/) It's a great date show... funny, charming, off-broadway (not too expensive) and spoofs all the great things we love and love to hate about musicals. So grab a date and go see it.